Sunday, January 9, 2011

Discussion # 1 - Sayings # 1 and 2

Where did it come from / what does it mean?

There are a lot of sayings out there ( which by the way are being DESTROYED daily by the unfortunate young people on TV). It's not their fault (entirely). Sayings get watered down and passed on poorly for two reasons. The person delivering badly and the person listening half-heartedly. Oh yeah let's not forget people's memory.

# 1. Seven come eleven.

# 2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. (which is currently being used as an advertisement for the 'Antiques Traveling Roadshow' - I am happy they got it right).

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that you are right. The game was called 'craps' (of all things). There had to be another name originally. Does anyone know what it is? I saw it played up against a wall in the 1950's. 7 and 11 were automatically winners. Of course this is now a major CASINO game still called the 'craps' tables. I still do not know technically what (if anything) the phrase '7 come 11' means.

    ReplyDelete